|Incumbent Minister||Ramesh Pokhriyal|
- 1947 to 1985 – it works as ministry of Education
- Abul Kalam Azad was the 1st Education Minister (1947)
- National Education Day is celebrated on his birthday i.e. 11th Nov.
- 1985-2020 – Ministry was renamed by the Rajiv Gandhi as MHRD (Ministry of Human Resource & Development)
- On 29th July 2020 – With National Education Policy 2020, Ministry again renamed as Ministry of Education
- Works in two department
- Dept. of School Education & Literacy
- Dept. of Higher Education
The main objectives of the Ministry would be:
- Formulating the National Policy on Education and to ensure that it is implemented in letter and spirit
- Planned development, including expanding access and improving quality of the educational institutions throughout the country, including in the regions where people do not have easy access to education.
- Paying special attention to disadvantaged groups like the poor, females and the minorities
- Provide financial help in the form of scholarships, loan subsidy, etc to deserving students from deprived sections of the society.
- Encouraging international cooperation in the field of education, including working closely with the UNESCO and foreign governments as well as Universities, to enhance the educational opportunities in the country.
Constitutional Provision Related to Education
|Part III||FR’s||Article 13|
|Part IV||DPSP’s||Article 37|
|Part IVA||FD’s||Article 51A|
|Part IX||Panchayat’s||Article 243B|
|Part IXA||Municipalities||Article 243Q|
|Part X||Schedule & Tribals Areas||Article 244|
|Part XI||Center & State Relation||Article 246|
|Part XVII||Official Language||Article 344|
Days Celebration 🎉 Related to Education Ministry
|Teachers Day||5th Sept||Every year |
Birthday of Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, the first Vice-President of independent India and the second President of the country.
Note – World Teachers Day Celebrated on 5th Oct
|International Literacy Day||8th Sept||Every Year |
Objective – to highlight the importance of literacy in life and remind ourselves of the status of literacy and adult learning worldwide
|National Education Day||11th Nov||Every Year |
Birthday of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, eminent educationist and the first Education Minister of independent India
|Children’s Day||14th Nov||Every year |
Birthday of India’s First PM – PJ. Nehru
Note – Universal Children’s Day Celebrated on 20th Nov
Major Schemes Runs by Education Ministry